Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Rock-bottom and beyond

I've officially fallen off the wagon. So what's out of line, you might ask. Well, everything really. This is how the past few weeks (or months) have progressed:

Piriformis syndrome > stop running > cross train > pile on pounds > bored of gym > skip gym > diet astray > pile on pounds > run outdoor track > severe sciatic pain > cross train > pile on pounds > hide from the world.

As you can see, the only consistent item in my routine is "pile on pounds".

And now, I'm going to do something that's so NOT easy...

121 lbs (up 7 lbs)
There, I've said it and I feel miserable. But hopefully, I can now start digging myself out of this sorry existence. To this effect, here is what I'm starting with ASAP:

Get a personal trainer.
I've had one for most of the past few years and I know it helps. Darn expensive at this new Gold's Gym i now go to but 3 months to begin with and we'll see where that goes.

Document the diet.
I've NEVER kept a food/calorie log and honestly, since I'm pretty good at 'what to' and 'what not to', I've never needed to. But this time, the problem is with the portions.

Kill this injury.
It's been around waay too long! Although, I've understood that this is something I'll probably have to live with (yes, they say that piriformis syndrome never really goes away), I'm positive I can get back into training at some point.

Blog more often.
Seriously, this confession mode is helping. And the fact that reading about other running lives helps me keep that focus. Thank you bloggers!

Go shopping.
A little retail therapy doesn't sound so bad right now. I've been thinking about summer dresses all week. I think I'll give in.

Time to pick up the pieces and get back on track...wow feeling better already! And yes, I'll be posting my progress report as often as I possibly can. I promise.

2 comments:

  1. Girl I feel ya! I so excited for May to begin so I can start the month with a clean slate and begin a new! April showers bring May flowers! Good luck rebooting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I so hear you: pile on the pounds is by far the easiest (and most delicious) way to deal with injury. So sorry the piriformis is still nagging at you. I may have mentioned it before but I'll say it again: sit in pigeon and double pigeon daily for as long as you can stand it. Like watch TV in it. I swear it was the answer for my piriformis issues last year.
    Your plan is a great one. Hang in there, it will get better!

    ReplyDelete