Tuesday, March 8, 2011

No sidewalk running for me!

One of the first things I noticed when I got to Milwaukee (this is the city I now live in) was that runners ran on sidewalks. What horrifies me about this is the fact that sidewalks are concrete and considering it is the hardest (and supposedly one of the worst) running surface! Back home in India, we're used to running on the roads, which are of course tarred. I know running on roads seems like a crazy thing to do, but Indian traffic is slow and therefore, safer. I wouldn't consider doing that here.

So my first outdoor run here in the US went something like this:
Map a n'hood route>run on sidewalks>stop at traffic lights>almost get run over>irrirate drivers>limp home

The infamous "leg pain" was back and I had to take 3 whole days off to heal it. Fortunately, I have now discovered the Oak Leaf Trail which is an (more than 94 mi long) asphalt bike trail that is super fabulous to run on! I did a quick 4 mi easy run yesterday along the trail and felt great!

On another note, considering the pain issues I've been dealing with, I think it's time to invest in one of these:

The CW-X Stabilyx. If anyone is using these at the mo, I'd love to hear about what you think of these!
PS: Funny how the crazy weather is the last thing on my mind right now...hmmm

2 comments:

  1. I hate running on sidewalks. It feels like the only option in cities though sometimes. I want to try out those pants, they look so nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best tights ever. My legs feel so fresh after runs. Go buy them!

    ReplyDelete